An Internship is a paid period of service for a construction student in a professional field to gain supervised practical experience.
Our Successful Internship Program contains these three elements:
- A goal oriented student with a strong work ethic and a desire to advance.
- A sponsor firm committed to mentoring students.
- Continual care and attention by Virginia Tech Myers-Lawson School faculty to the student interns progress.
- Familiarize students with the construction industry planning, design, and field operations.
- Introduce students to the interrelations among the various tasks and participants in the construction process.
- Expose students to management and communication functions performed within a construction project.
- Aid students in acquiring specific skill sets which will enhance their value to employers and the industry.
- To provide our students with the best construction education possible.
- To provide our students with real world experiences that can best be acquired outside the university classroom.
- To provide industry the opportunity to assist in the professional development of new constructors.
- To aid students in development of professional attitudes.
- To produce graduates who are productive and skilled pre-professionals.
How can a student secure an internship?
- Attend the construction career fairs offered during the Fall and Spring semesters
- Visit our job postings
- Attend an information session. See the calendar of events on the front page for a complete schedule of information sessions.
- Meet employers at school or department events.
- Talk to family and friends about places they would recommend employment.
- Meet with your career advisor.
How can an employer become a sponsor for a student's internship?
- Contact Chris Fiori, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies, Industry Relations and Outreach for the Myers-Lawson School by email: email@example.com or phone: 540.239.3389
- Contact Amanda Lucas, Assistant to the Director & Public Relations Coordinator for the Myers-Lawson School by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 540.231.6777
- Contact Kara Lattimer, Academic/Career Advisor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering by email: email@example.com or phone:540.231.7148