Hiring International Students

It is not uncommon for employers to consider hiring international students. Fortunately, it's not a difficult process for students to gain permission to work within the United States. In fact, most of the international students you may be interested in are on non-immigrant F-1 and J-1 student visas. This means that they can work under certain conditions.

Here are a few answers to common employer questions about this topic:

  • Do international students need special work authorization before a company within the United States may hire them?
    • No. Students only need to gain this permission upon actually beginning employment. It is not required of a student to have permission before they are offered a position.
  • Is the employer required to fill out much paperwork?
    • No. All paperwork is completed by the students, the school, and the INS.
  • What duration of time may students work within the United States with their visa?
    • Students are able to complete curricular practical training before completing their studies in addition to twelve months of optional practical training before or after graduation or a combination of the two.

Many of our international students have found it challenging to get internships, since companies often think it's harder than it actually is. There's a lot of paperwork, to be sure, but not for the employer as most of it is done at Virginia Tech.