Researchers in the ARCADE (Automation & Robotics in Construction And Design Engineering) Lab at Virginia Tech are involved in collaborative interdisciplinary research between College of Architecture and College of Engineering to develop new solutions for the Architecture, Engineering, Construction, and Operations (AECO) industry. ARCADE Lab is focused on:
- Applied research through collaboration with industry
- Scientific investigations
- Educational excellence
- Technology leadership
Key areas or research in the ARCADE Lab include:
- Automated and integrated solutions to optimize building design, construction, and operations
- Example: dynamic parametric modeling, automated cost estimating, etc.
- Robotic technology and control system for improved productivity and safety
- Examples: collaborative robots on jobsites, robotic fabrication, etc.
- Smart sustainable buildings and infrastructure with innovations in cyber-physical systems
- Example: data sensing in design and construction, smart building materials, etc.
- Adaptive human-centered environments to improve human comfort, safety, and wellbeing
- Example: intelligent construction safety, human factors engineering, etc.
- AECO education through innovations in the integration of emerging technologies
- Example: robotics and virtual reality in construction and architecture education, etc.